Millington, Mi 48746
Click to post on facebook!
Remove Listing From Site
Printer Friendly Version
A land burned with fear.
Millington, MI., Sept 6--William BATES' sawmill, lumber, logs and all
the buildings adjacent burned today in spite of the efforts made to
save it by the men who went out to fight the fire this morning. J.C.
SMITH's lumber yard and all the buildings except his house, burned last
night. Mill was found on Wolf Beach
Millington, MI., Sept. 7--The fire is now in the village limits and
running fast in the open fields, but plenty of men are fighting it. The
wind is in the north. The buildings on both the MURPHY farms are burned
and settlers at Hemlock are all burned out. Lexington, MI., Sept.
7--The wind on Monday spread the fires in the easterly direction,
burning houses, barns, stock and crops. Many lives have been lost in
this county. The village of Cato, consisting of 20 or 30 houses, a
sawmill and a grist-mill, store and several shops, was entirely burned.
In Huron County some confirmatory reports of the burning of Bad Axe,
except the courthouse and one hotel, also the destruction of Verona
Mills. Ten bodies were brought into Sand Beach, and others are hourly
reported, while the dead men, women and children, horses, cattle, sheep
and hogs are found in some sections too numerous, in the general
horror, to occasion remarks and probably not less than 100 lives have
been lost in all.
From the sorce History of Tuscola Conty. The fire destroyed 21
houses, 13 barns, and 2 saw mills. One of those mills belonged to
William Bates.We know from the above counts at least Three families in
Millington were affected by the fire. Willam Bates, J.C Smith, and The
William Bates lived in Millington with his wife Sarah. He was 29,
and she was 21. William was born in New York in 1851, Sarah also from
New York in 1859. There mill and stock was burned to the ground at a
cost of that day to 10,000 dollars. It was considered one of the
greates property loss. By all accords they survived.
I could not find any information regarding if JC Smith surived or not.
The Murphys have been part of Millington since the begining.
Starting with Simmon J Murphy who was part owner of Avery & Murphy,
their company owned 1120 acers in 1875. In 1902 S.J Murphy owned the
land that Murphy Lake was on. The company acordint to the land deed had
bought the land in 1866.
The area of Millington Hills that they are tlaking about was right smack dab in the middle of the fire.
Do you personally know about this location and wish to update the article? Click here to request control!
Upload Image to this location
No one has uploaded images here yet.