Council is an abandoned town site in the Nome
Census Area. Council was built in 1897 and 1898 when gold was discovered near
the Ophir Creek. Council may have had as many as 15,000 inhabitants during
those years. The residents left to work larger discoveries of gold near Nome
around 1900. Council has about 25 old buildings and much old mining equipment,
including a dredge, laying about. During the summer, Council is used as a fish
camp and a recreational location for residents of Nome and White Mountain.