Submitted by: matrix
Last updated by: hapyangel
Last updated on : 3/15/2013
Click to post on facebook!
GPS: -98.66762, -98.66762
Remove Listing From Site
Printer Friendly Version
Sivells Bend is an unincorporated community on Farm to
Market Road 1201, 20 miles north of the county seat, Gainesville in Cooke County.
Early settlers from Kentucky Town, Texas arrived in 1850 and established a
general store; however, north central Texas was still under constant threat
from Native American attacks and settlers abandoned the store. Around 1860,
settlers returned to stay and established a farming community. During the Civil
War, a company of Confederate soldiers were stationed at Sivells Bend to
prevent aggression from across the Red River. As the Chisholm Trail came
through north central Texas in the early 1870s, a small branch of the trail
went through the Sivells Bend area. The arrival of cowpunchers led to
development and by 1872, Sivells Bend had a post office. By 1900, the small
community reported a population of 100 with various stores, physicians, cotton
gins, and a small school. But its remote location, the growth of Gainesville,
and the lack of a railroad or major highway would hinder further development.
Even the discovery of oil in the area couldn't abate the decline. The post
office closed in 1973, but the small community retains two churches, several
homes, and its independent school.
Do you personally know about this location and wish to update the article? Click here to request control!
Upload Image to this location
No one has uploaded images here yet.